Sunday, January 21, 2007

Interactions (yay!)

Ok, so I'm in Safari this time, which means I can't use JScript tag buttons for some reason. I hope my code-fu is still strong.

Not sure if we were supposed to post stuff relating to last class, but I have decided to regardless. For starters, my interaction was Donkey Konga 2 in conjunction with the Bongo peripheral. It impressed me because it was a very large step away from abstract control schemes usually used in videogames. To my knowledge, only three games in North America ever have used the Bongo peripheral (Donkey Konga, Donkey Konga 2 and DK: Jungle Beat). The idea of direct control is being explored further as of late though; anyone who's been to Sega City has seen their skiing simulations, and Virtual On machines (there was also a virtual hang-glider there last I saw, though I can't find a pic of that). I'm sure you've all also heard of the Wii, which is bringing these immersive experiences into the home.
This departure from the traditional control methods has been a long time coming, and I for one am glad it's happening. Looks like living in interesting times isn't all bad.

(NOTE: The third pic there is of a Steel Battalion controller. It looks like an extended joystick. The reason I mention it is that it's a custom 21 button rig complete with pedals (not pictured) designed to work with a giant robot simulation game where the player takes on the role of the pilot. The control console seen in game is identical to the joystick array in the picture.)

Of the other presentations, I was most impressed by the LG mp3 player, and the "First Generation iPhone" (which I don't have a link for).

With the videogame theme clearly established, I think I should go out on this note.

Enjoy.

EDIT: Ok, so I'm an idiot. I thought Blogger used BoardScript, and not standard HTML. It's fixed now.

EDIT 2: Forgot about the sig, since I have an ambiguous handle. This has been Leo Zovic, nerding it up so you don't have to.

No comments: